Wednesday, May 9, 2007

The Post About The New Multiverse

Okay, I'll grant you... the subject is a spoiler, so I'm already breaking my own rules. I'm edgy like that sometimes.

I don't think that anybody that might read this is in need of a history lesson regarding the DC Universe, so I'm going to write with the assumption that you understand why DC got rid of the multiverse a few years back in a little-known story called Crisis on Infinite Earths.

Someone at DC apparently thought iit would be a good idea to bring back a finite Multiverse, such that the DC Multiverse now contains 52 separate (but equal) dimensions. The justification that I've read (and I'll confess, maybe work has kept me from reading all of the exit interviews on Newsarama) is that this opens up avenues for new stories, and takes away limitations placed on writers.

What I haven't heard, and I'm wondering if I'm likely to hear, is an explanation of the state of the Multiverse. It's pretty clear that the Justice Society hasn't migrated to Earth-2, given that they're currently crossing over with the Justice League. Which of the books that I'm reading are taking place on which Earths? In The Trials of Shazam, Freddie Freeman hasn't interacted with any other super-beings from the mainstream Marvel Universe. Am I looking at Earth-5? Is The Spirit now an official part of the Multiverse?

Did DC even consider that contemplating the logistics of the New Multiverse might trump the excitement of having multiple dimensions again? I'm not even sure where to start!

I've got to say... I was a bit happier, over all, with my Marvel offerings this week. I can't help but wonder if the balance of my tastes isn't tipping in another direction now.

No comments: