Sunday, May 27, 2007

Big Events - World War Hulk

It's funny, but I'm actually looking forward to Marvel's big coming event.

Normally, I look at these comic 'events' with a level of fatigue. Both Marvel and DC make these huge, undeliverable promises... worlds will live, worlds will die, nothing will be the same, and the internet shalt break in twain.

As if.

I think that the level of hype going into the events actually gets me tired of said event BEFORE it starts. Which brings me back around to World War Hulk. Sure, there's been press about it... but I haven't heard anything approaching the level of hyperbole surrounding Civil War.

Instead, World War Hulk strikes me as the logical extension of a story I've been enjoying for a little over a year now. It's only peripherally touched on the Marvel Universe... you haven't had many folks scratching their head, wondering whether the Hulk was on Cap's side or Iron Man's side... he's just been off doing his own thing, and only She-Hulk has apparently wondered why he's been so quiet.

So my joy that this little story, about which there's been so little hype, quietly turns into a big event... I think I'm in a mood for that. Oh sure, there'll be the requisite Frontline title... I'll be wise enough to avoid it this time. In fact, I don't think the event will actually change my buying habits much. I think that's the biggest relief of all.

Though I do think I'll buy the Iron Man issues. Tony's been deserving a serious butt-kicking for a little over a year now.

No comments: