Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Puny Humans! I have come to Smash!

Well... I've been looking forward to World War Hulk, and the first issue hasn't disappointed. I think it may be due to the fact that, by and large, I'm not expecting too much of it.

I don't want to slight the recent work on Hulk... far from it. I loved Planet Hulk, and Greg Pak is just continuing a story I'm already sold on here. But I think that one of the reasons I like it so much is that it's not as nuanced or complicated as something like Civil War.

Try explaining Civil War to a friend who doesn't read comics, and you have to explain the schisms between different groups of heroes. All the while, you're going to be bombarded with questions as to why this person's on that side, why Iron Man gave badges to super-villains, and so on. It's an interesting story, at least in concept... but it's pretty complicated.

World War Hulk is refreshingly simple. A year ago, a bunch of the world's heroes shot the Hulk off into space to get rid of him. Now he's back. I'll admit, I'm glossing over a lot of story here, but it's a much easier jumping on point for new readers, and about as straightforward as a green fist to the face.

I don't know if this is going to be one of the 'great' ones, but I know it's looking to be a fun read.

No comments: