Friday, January 2, 2009

Pseudo-Live-Blogging: Grant Morrison's Batman Run - Grotesk (Ostrander Fill-In Story)

So, here are the thoughts that go through my head as I read the Grotesk arc by Ostrander and Mandrake, published between Batman & Son and The Clown at Midnight:

  • Wow... this isn't very good.
  • So these guys want this other guy's sister? Ten gets you twenty he's the villain.
  • This is so bad it's giving me a headache.
  • Johnny Karaoke? SERIOUSLY? And his Geisha Grrls?
  • Headache... getting worse!
  • Once again, a Gotham vigilante thinks Batman should understand his mission of vengeance.
  • I think this headache is actually my brain trying to escape from my skull so that it can poke my eyes out. I don't blame it. In fact, it might be for the best if it succeeds.
  • Well, at least we won't have to worry about seeing Johnny Karaoke again.
  • And the sister dies too, so we have no loose ends that might bring ANY of this back around. Outstanding.

Well, in the final analysis, the best thing I can say about John Ostrander's four issue cliche is that I'm done reading it. Now I feel like I need a shower. And some steel wool. I'd have rather gone a couple months without an issue of Batman than read this. I'm normally the first one in line to scream when a book I like has delays. "Why not give us a filler story" I might say "while the regular team tries to get their book back on track?"

If you hear me say this, remind me that his line of thinking got us "Grotesk".

No comments: